- 1 lb of shelled Shrimp
- 4 cups Chicken stock
- 2 stalks Lemongrass, crushed
- 1 piece of galangal, thinly sliced
- 4 pieces of kaffir lime leaves
- 1 piece of Thai chilies
- 0.5 cup Coconut milk, using the creamy part
- 4 cups sliced Button mushrooms, or Asian mushroom varieties
- 0.25 cup Thai chili paste
- 2 tablespoons good quality Fish sauce
- 0.25 cup Lime juice
- 0.25 cup Cilantro, finely chopped
Thai hot and sour soup or Tom Yum can be made with any kind of protein you want; such as chicken, fish, or completely vegetarian by substituted chicken stock with vegetable broth. Moreover; mushrooms, squashes, or eggplant can be used in place of meat.
- Bring chicken stock to a boil then lower the heat to simmer. Next add lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, and chilies. Then let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and bring to boil. Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are done. The process should take less than 2 minutes.
- Add chili paste and fish sauce. Then place the shrimps into the soup and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Turn off the heat and add lime juice. Season to taste with sugar, fish sauce, or extra lime juice if preferred.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with a bowl of steamed jasmine rice.
Thai hot and sour soup with shrimp or called Tom Yum Goong is one of the most popular Thai soup. Easy to make for a quick weeknight meal. Furthermore, wonderful flavor and aromatic herbs make this soup a winner! Bon Appetit!