Korean BBQ Beef Short Ribs
What is the better way to start your summer right? Ladies and gentlemen, probably the only thing that better than starting a diet for the beach body is to starting a charcoal grill and doing a BBQ!!! Above all, Korean galbi is my absolute favorite thing to do a BBQ.
First, this recipe is super simple and easy; moreover, it takes no time at all to get the beef short ribs (galbi) ready for the BBQ. Hence, this marinade is also my version based off a recipe made famous by a popular restaurant in Korea.
Secondly, the marinade works for both beef short ribs single bone-in cut and flanken cut. That is to say, if you are using single bone-in cut, filleting to flatten out the beef for grilling is necessary.
Lastly, galbi can be enjoyed by itself or serving traditional Korean way. In other words, as elaborate as you would like it to be. Let’s marinate the galbi and start the grill already!
- 5 pounds of beef short ribs
- 5 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2.5 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
To Make the Seasoning Rub:
Mixing together salt, sugar, and black pepper
Preparing the Ribs:
- Rinse the beef short ribs in cold water to remove any impurities and pat dry.
- If using the single bone-in ribs, flatten it out is necessary to season the ribs and for best cooking results. Using a knife to filleting and or flattening the ribs.
- Coat the ribs evenly with sesame oil. Then sprinkle seasoning rub over the meat.
- Adding the garlic and green onion to the meat then roll the meat back to its original shape.
- Let refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight for maximum results.
To Grill and To Eat
There are ways to cook galbi, the first option is with Korean BBQ tabletop stove. The second option is outside with a charcoal grill. Both options work fine depending on your convenience. Most importantly the grill needs to be very hot. For instance, galbi cooks best when the charcoals are white hot or your stovetop on high heat.
In short, start grilling the galbi by unrolling it like a carpet onto the hot grill. Wait until golden brown then flips over onto the other side. Enjoy the galbi-gui with ssamjang, more on this in the next post…Bon Appetit!!!